Here is Staycation Idea 2- Spa Say, thanks to Madame Deals for the idea!
Oh Spring Break is upon us and the kids are home. The cash is tight and the ideas have dried up and it is only day two of spring break. Introducing the spa day. This easy to do activity is kind on your wallets and our state of mind. It is also educational! Salvation at last! The first rule of spa day is everyone must be calm, cool, and collect. This is a day of peace and quiet. We usually do spa activities in the bathroom or the kitchen. We grab chairs, a sheet, a radio, bowels, towels, flash lights or candles depending on the age of your spa guests.
We head into the kitchen to create our pampering creations. This is a great way to introduce math through following directions, sequence, and measurement and those skills coupled with reading makes this activity relaxing and educational.
If you have young kids with limited attention spans keep your spa services to a minimum. You can do a face treatment, hand, and feet. If you children are older you can do multiple treatments. You can have them conduct a scientific experiment to hypothesize what the results of the procedure will be. You can ask the children what they think the potion will smell like, feel like, and taste like based on the ingredients. (Only taste if the ingredients are food). You can extend this activity to have them create their own potions and try out their effectiveness and chart the results. You can also have them create a service menu and perform the treatments on you, their friends, or other family members. If you would like to extend this activity further you could set up a spa experience with distinct cost. You will be able to work with money, supply and demand, and possibly barter. This day event could turn into multiple hours/ days of enjoyment.
Here are a couple of recipes for treatments. They are fast and easy and most importantly accessible and inexpensive. If you want to make a longer spa day do the easy procedure first and then add the complex procedure.
- Easy- Place a well-mixed blueberry or strawberry yogurt on their face. Then rinse off.
- Complex- Take 1 cup of cheerios grinded into a fine powder, some honey and a couple squirt of lemons to create a mask. Then apply to their faces until it dries rinse off.
- Easy- Get a bowl and fill it with warm water and soak your hands with a tablespoon of olive oil. Then put lotion or Crisco, or Vaseline on your hands and place them in gloves (dish kind work) or use socks. If you let the lotion, Crisco, Vaseline site for 30 minutes their hands will be very smooth.
- Complex- Take one Tablespoon of cane Sugar and baby oil. Then rub your hands together. Then wash off the mixture and follow up with the easy suggestion above.
- Easy- Fill a bowl with warm water and add a couple of tablespoons of baking soda. You can place flower petals on the top or orange slices.
- Complex- 1 cup of brown sugar, 3 Tablespoons of water, and enough honey to make it liquid, and ¼ cup of oatmeal mix. Then rub your feet to remove dead skin. I would then place their feet in socks with Vaseline, lotion, or baby oil.
- Easy- A warm bath with bubbles and cucumbers on their eyes. You could also place one cup of Apple Vinegar in the bath it improves circulation.
- Complex- Create a body scrub- Use cane sugar and vanilla extract. You could also have them rub pineapples on their skin to remove dead skin. You can have fun and create your own scrub using sugar, oatmeal, bananas, and honey.
What are some ideas that you see for extensions to this simply idea?