If you are anything like me, this time of year just makes me want to hibernate til March with my favorite blankie! I very much dislike that idea of fixing dinner and sitting down to eat at 6:30pm and it being pitch dark outside. It makes me just want to crawl into bed and not come out! And since I have kiddos to take care of and a job and kiddos in activities after school I kind of can’t do that! But here are some tips I use to manage through these crazy dark winter months to keep me energized and moving with my very active family!
- Get Plenty of Rest! – Now this may seem like a very easy task, since I just told you how at dinner time I just want to curl up in bed and just go to sleep, it should seem like I get plenty, right? Wrong! My girls get showers, pack their lunches, layout clothes for the next day, finish homework, get chores finished up and run around like banshees all at bedtime. So by time I get them all to bed and finish cleaning up after dinner, running another load of the never ending pile of laundry and the other 900 other chores I get to complete each day, I hit the bed about 11:30pm at the earliest! Then at 6am I start getting kiddos up and ready for school! So sleep is hard to get plenty of, but I have made several adjustments to try and get the girls in bed sooner and have them help me earlier in the day get some of the chores done sooner! So make a plan and make time for extra sleep!
- Eat Your Fruits and Veggies! – It may seem hard to do, but there are tons of ways to get in just a few extra servings, weather taking a small bag of grapes with you to eat on the way to work or practice, make a smoothie for breakfast or snag an apple to snack on before bed! Just one or two extra servings a day of fruits and veggies could make such a huge difference in your energy level!
- Take Your Vitamins! – I have a hard time taking vitamins. I tend to get stomach aches from them and nausea for hours afterwards. So typically I will take my vitamins at bedtime so that by time I get up, they have dissolved into my system and I don’t get the side effects. I tried these new Centrum® VitaMints® Multivitamins fit right into your busy lifestyle. These were easy enough on my stomach that I was able to take them in the morning! VitaMints® are adult multivitamins packed with a refreshing cool mint flavor you can take any time of day with or without food or water. No chalky taste – just cool mint flavor. You can take 2 daily to give your body essential vitamins and minerals that support your energy, immune system, metabolism, and overall well-being®.Do not exceed suggested use or more does not always mean better. For more information about Centrum®, click here and a FREE Sample. Be sure to like Centrum® on Facebook
- Exercise!- You knew I was going to say that, but it’s true! When I get just 20 minutes in each day, I feel so much better! Even if it’s just taking the dog on an extended bathroom break around the neighborhood, parking the car at the end of the lot when heading to the store or just a few quick jumping jacks, sit-ups and mountain climbers with the kiddos when they come home from school!
- Take a Break & Relax– Even if you have to skip a load of laundry, grab your favorite bubble bath, fill the tub and tune everything else out! You work hard and you need some time for your self, not just physically, but mentally! Let your brain relax, breathe and just enjoy yourself! This is not an easy task but is so worth it, I always feel so energized after just a 20 minute break!
- Dance & Sing It Out– I am not the greatest singer and I definitely have absolutely no rhythm to dance, but I love it! For just 3 minutes during your favorite song, let loose, sing, dance, laugh, bounce around and enjoy yourself. These little moments of pure craziness would make for a great laugh to your friends and family if shared on YouTube, but who cares! Let loose and have some fun!
- Enjoy Life, Slow Down & Laugh– Life is a crazy roller coaster, but you only live once and you should enjoy every minute of it! Before you know it your kiddos will in college, starting a family and out of your nest! Don’t let the little bit of time you have with them slip away! Yes they may drive you crazy sometimes and you want to pull your hair out but they will grow up before you know it and you will miss it! So if your house isn’t clean or the shutter is still squeaking or the van is still got last weeks breakfast in the back seat, skip it and hang out with your family or call an old friend to catch up! Enjoy your life, it’s the only one your get!