The holiday is quickly approaching and plans have already been underway for our family Christmas party! With this comes lots of shopping and lots of spending! But this year I am going to try and see how little we can spend on this normally expensive event! I will look to our local dollar stores, like Dollar Tree, to help me keep our party on a strict budget! Here are some tips I will use this year to save us money on our holiday party planning:
- Make a List: I keep lots of lists, everything from what I am going to do that day, to birthday gift ideas, Christmas shopping ideas, etc. But I will keep a list of items that I need for our Christmas party- food, decorations, party supplies, etc. This way I will only purchase what I need but most importantly I will not purchase duplicates, which I tend to do pretty often!
- Make a Menu: I have already planned out everything that I will need to purchase for our meal for Christmas. As I see items go on sale, I will buy them and hold onto them until I need them! Waiting til the week of, will cost you a lot more since not everything you need will go on sale that week! Plan ahead!
- Ask Guests to Bring a Dish: Every year we have Christmas dinner at our house and we provide the majority of the food and drinks! But we do ask our guests to bring a side dish and or dessert to share with everyone. This helps make sure we have plenty of food with out the added cost of buying all of it!
- Just Decorate the Main Areas: Decorate just the areas in which you will guests, dining room, living room, kitchen and maybe a bathroom or 2, no need to decorate rooms that no one will see! Although I have about 10 large totes filled with Christmas decorations, you may not have as much as I do. So I tend to hit the Dollar Tree to look for cute vases to fill with ornaments, holiday candy dishes, holiday table cloths, etc. This will keep the cost low, while keeping your place looking festive!
- Buy Holiday Paper Products: Although this may cost a little more than using our regular holiday plates and cups, it will save me time of not washing dishes and my sanity of knowing we will not run out of silverware and plates!
So what plans do you have this year for the holiday, any tips you want to share on keeping the cost low for your next festive party, leave a comment and share!