I love finding frugal recipes for things that we spend a small fortune on! Play-doh is one of those things as a kids, you just have to have. It is so much fun to play with, make fake food with and build anything and everything your imagination can create. But as a stay at home mom of 3 girls who love this stuff, it can get quite expensive. So here is our homemade play dough recipe, not only inexpensive but safe, in our case, puppy safe!
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cup of flour
- 2 cup of water
- 4 tsp of cream of tarter
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- food coloring (or we added kool aid to our last batch- colors weren’t as bright in color, but smelled great)
This batch will make about 5-6 small size softball’s (we used small tupperware bowls and I was able to fill 6 of them). I have seen several other recipes floating around the web and they are all fairly similar and all seem to work fine, so if you have your own recipe, use it!
- In a pan add all dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
- add water and vegetable oil
- cook on medium to low, continue to mix together until it forms a large ball. There may be a few lumps but that is ok
- let it cool down on a plate or parchment/wax paper
- you can now add food coloring for just 1 color or separate into small balls and then add food coloring, mix together
- kneed the balls together, removing all the lump and mixing all the food coloring together- it will start to feel just like play-doh that you buy at the store
- Start playing!
I finally was able to use all of those mini plastic bowls I got at Meijer a while back for FREE on sale!! Great for keeping them separated by colors and keep fresh for months of play!
Now for hours of play!!