I have to admit, I was never a huge fan of stuffing, but after making this recipe, I now LOVE IT!!! Here is my Apple Sausage Stuffing! This will make quite a bit, this is my recipe for Christmas and Easter, so it feeds 10-14 people.
Apple Sausage Stuffing
- 1 medium size apple (diced)
- 1 medium size onion (minced)
- 1-2 stalks of celery (diced)
- 1 pound of sausage
- 2-3 boxes of stuffing (we just use store brand or whatever is on sale)
- 2 can of chicken broth
- In a sauce pan add about a cup of the chicken broth and onions. Cook for 7-8 minutes on medium until onion are soft.
- Add sausage, brown sausage with onions
- Add apples and celery to sausage and onion mix, cook on medium for about 5-8 minutes or until apples and celery are soft
- Once all these ingredients are good and soft and mixed together, add your stuffing. Each box of stuffing will call for a certain amount of water to be added, I substitute the water for the chicken broth. Sometimes 2 cans of chicken broth is not enough so I will add a little water, but the chicken broth adds more flavor. So follow the instructions on the stuffing box as to how much liquid you need to add. You don’t want to add too much or your stuffing will become soggy. So slowly add the liquid until you get the correct consistency.
- Stir all ingredients together and then once you have the consistency you want, place your stuffing in a casserole dish and place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes. This will “stiffen” the stuffing up a little!
This has to be my absolute favorite dish now for holiday’s! So yummy!